My ASR-10 is starting to make a loud humming/buzzing sound...

D

DopeByDesign

i'm positive its never done this before...the humming/buzzing is freaking deafening...i noticed it immediately after turning on my asr-10 after several months of not using it (school)...is this normal? i've been keeping the asr in a gear bag propped up against my bed with the keys facing outward like this |bed|\ <--asr
could that have something to do with it?

also on another note, my monitors are constantly buzzing too (even when not turned on) and they make a huge popping sound when i turn them on even though all the volume levels are to zero...how do i prevent this? i know for the buzzing sound it has something to do with where i plug them in right?

I was going to say the drive was faulty until you said the mnonitors do the same.

I'm inclined to believe that it is a mains issue.
You seem to have an earthing problem.

but my monitors always hummed....the actual keyboard never started to until now

40 cycle humm is allways a ground problem try another outlet if that dont work go to another room if that dont work ur @ucked u gotta rewire your house.
Good Luck I feel your pain.

it might be outlets but i'm not so sure...if it was a grounding problem would there be a big humming/buzzing coming from inside the keyboard? it sounds like there's something wrong with a part inside or something...i mean if it made this sound when i first got it i wouldn't have thought twice but it never made it before...i've tried another outlet but it was in the same room and it still made the sound...i have to wait till the weekend to try another room..

But you say the buzz has moved across to your monitors..yeah?

Without being there and actually testing for component failure, dodgy cables, poor earth, bad grounding etc.. it is almost impossible to tell.

Start to eliminate the problems.

Take the keyboard to someone else's place and test there. If it buzzes then it's the keyboard.

Use a different mains socket, change cables etc..
All these tests to try to isolate the problem.

dam, that sounds like a real hassle. I hope you solve your problem and its not your asr-10.

ill have to wait to try it a friend's house...i think i can eliminate the sockets in my house though because i've been using the same socket the whole time and just now its starting to buzz? and also, the monitors have always buzzed, so maybe its a grounding/earthing/socket issue or whatever for them, but i don't think so for the ASR...

at least i have a good excuse now to trade for an asr-88... :/

It may be a bad output board. Many ASR's suffer from this. My board does. My rack does not. EPS's get this sometimes too. I believe it is a bad cap or two on the analog board. They just go out after a while. You may need to take it to a good qualified tech and have them send the circuit board off to the refurb shop that handles ensonq parts. I can't remeber the name of the place but it's either in PA, or FL. (I forget, but I'll go digging and see if I can find the number. Give it to your tech and have him or her sort it out.) It is repairable. Good luck.

Ape

awww man dont say that..

thanks for the info though...i hope it doesnt come down to that...but i do have an authorized repair shop not too far from me...does it affect the performance? or just make that annoying sound?

Eventually that's all the noise it makes until you get it fixed, no matter what your volume setting, etc.. In fact, try the volume control and see if the hum is there even when you turn it all the way down. If it goes away then it may well be something as simple as a wall-wart too close to an audio cable, and not the analog board in the sampler at all. Please keep us updated. Good luck.

Ape

well i tried a different room in my house and i think im going crazy...i still heard a slight buzz but it is signficantly lower...so i dunno if i was overreacting that day or what...but a slight buzz is still there...is this normal? people with asr-10s can you turn yours on and put an ear close to the ASR-10 logo? is there a slight buzzing sound? i cant tell anymore if it was always there or my room was extra quiet that day or something...

Back