Doubt about a chord progression and its scale

Jo.Garcia

Hi everyone...my name is Jorge Garcia, and this is my first time in a music production forum :whistle:
Nice to meet you everybody. I'm a beginner in this music production world so I hope to learn a lot and in a near future share some knowledge with the community.

I'm struggling right now with a song I've just started.
I've got a loop with 2 chords: Bmaj7 - Cm7.
But I'm not sure about what scale should I use to compose melodies, bass lines, etc.
I suspect that it's a some kind of mode, but my knowledge on harmony are basic.

I hope you can help me.
Thanks in advance!

:whistle:

I will try it. Do you know what is classification essays? And can you write an essay on this? Earlier I didn't even know about it but now I can very easily define it and write essays on it. That too because of this https://writinguniverse.com/essay-types/classification-essays/ post. On this post, you are given a free essay writing service and samples of every topic are provided. You too can learn Essay writing from the service of this post.

Last edited:
Its not a rule but if you start a chord progression on a particular note its normal to start and finish on the same note. Its called a perfect cadence. So start your progression in BMaj and look up the scale and use notes within the scale to fill up a 4 chord progression. Happy song writing.

Hi everyone...my name is Jorge Garcia, and this is my first time in a music production forum :whistle:
Nice to meet you everybody. I'm a beginner in this music production world so I hope to learn a lot and in a near future share some knowledge with the community.

I'm struggling right now with a song I've just started.
I've got a loop with 2 chords: Bmaj7 - Cm7.
But I'm not sure about what scale should I use to compose melodies, bass lines, etc.
I suspect that it's a some kind of mode, but my knowledge on harmony are basic.

I hope you can help me.
Thanks in advance!

:whistle:

I would go with Cminor personally. I just played the same chord progression but Cmaj-Dbmin and to ME it sounds like the second chord is more of the tonal center. The first chord sounds like it is being used as a PASSING CHORD, that's the function it sounds like it is playing. I wouldn't beat my head up over WHAT KEY IS IT IN, but if you want to learn more about the keys just DM me I got free videos on youtube or you can check out some of my piano beats in the description. Either way just keep creating the progression sounds decent please post an example! Thank you

Try these. Bmaj7. Cm7 Ab. Eb. In any order mostly. In this case the key would be called Eb or cm depending on what chord you end on, as far as I understand it.

Back